Garrett- Evangelical Theological Seminary (2014)
Ph.D., Theology and Ethics
Garrett- Evangelical Theological Seminary (2007)
M.T.S., Historical Theology
Eureka College (2005, Summa Cum Laude)
B.A., Theological Studies
University of Indianapolis
University Chaplain and Director of the Lantz Center for Christian Vocation and Formation
Assistant Professor of Philosophy and Religion
- Direct the spiritual formation and youth ministry training programs including promotion of the program to on and off campus constituencies and oversee the curriculum. Increased enrollment by > 200% in the first two years.
- Lead and administer campus ministry programming, including pastoral oversight of a multi-lateral approach which includes the efforts of 20 independent ministries and partnerships and supervision of nine student Chapel Stewards.
- Utilized budget surplus to lead a chapel technology upgrade which enabled the integrity of the chapel’s liturgical design.
- Led an organizational change process to revitalize the chapel worship liturgy, resulting in increased program attendance and more robust formative experiences.
- Created a vibrant collaborative partnership with the Indiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church known as the Bishop’s Student Leadership Academy. This event brings high school students into mentoring relationship with Lantz Center students for vocational discernment practices and teaching on Christian vocation.
- CVOC 110,111, 210, 211 Christian Vocations and Formation I, II, III, and IV
- CVOC 406 Christian Vocations Internship
- REL 100 Christianity
- REL 299 Christian Worship
- YMTP 100 Intro to Youth Ministry
- ST 299 Camino de Santiago Spiritual Pilgrimage (travel course)
University Service and Leadership
- Ecumenical and Interfaith Council Co-chair (2009-current)
- Interfaith Forum (student group) Faculty Advisor (2009-2011)
- Vision 2030 Communications Task Force (2012)
- UIndy Keys (anti-trafficking student group) Faculty Advisor (2012-current)
- Center for Advising and Student Achievement Implementation Committee (2013)
- Assistant Dean of Students Search Committee (2014)
Oakland City University
Adjunct Instructor- Religious Studies
- CM 301 – Evangelism and Church Growth
- CE 400 – Family Ministry
Stead Center for Ethics and Values
General research tasks including gathering materials, reading and indexing publication manuscripts, and logistics related to theological conferences
Community United Methodist Church
Director of Worship and Youth Ministries
- Recruited a team of 20 volunteers and led contemporary worship in multiple weekend services
- Led youth ministry services for a church-based program and an outreach program based in the public school (Release Time); doubling attendance in one year
- Supervised the work of part-time ministry associates (Associate Youth Director and Associate Worship Director); trained Associate Youth Director as my replacement
- Transformed leadership of “Worship Design Committee” to include vision casting for large outreach ministries: provided Christmas gifts for four under-privileged families, repaired over 30 automobiles in free car care clinic, and raised money to build two wells in Sub-Saharan Africa
Bethany-Calvary United Methodist Church
- Pioneered a contemporary service that included a revived form of Methodist liturgy and radically contemporary music
- Preached biblically on a weekly basis.
- Provided pastoral leadership and care for the contemporary service; expanded ministry to the entire church during a six-week interim without a Senior Pastor
- Provided leadership for youth and children’s programming
Faith Christian Centre
Young Adults Minister (Intern)
Church member for eight years, serving as a staff intern for the last two years
- Served in nearly every aspect of church ministry as a church member including: adult Sunday School teacher, children and youth Sunday School teacher, Jr. High ministry intern, youth group leadership team, College and Career leadership team, and Young Adults Director/Staff Intern for the last two years.
- Worship leader (2-4 times weekly, six years experience), teacher/preacher (weekly for over two years), and sound technician (six years experience).
- Started Young Adults ministry with six people. Developed leadership team and led that ministry to about 25 people which included many first-time faith commitments and water baptisms.
“Performative Metanarrative and Postmodern Apologetics: A Case Study with St. Augustine.” M.T.S. thesis, Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary, 2007. Ann Arbor: Proquest/UMI.
Review article, Keith Warrington, Pentecostal Theology: A Theology of Encounter (Continuum 2008), PNEUMA: The Journal of the Society of Pentecostal Studies 31.2 (2009), 296-7.
“Preserving Integrity: Lessons on Interfaith Prayer from the University.” Liturgy 26.3 (2011), 34-41.
“Medicine is a Good Thing: Assemblies of God Doctrine as Support and Limit of Medicine.” In Proceedings of the Inaugural Faith and Science Conference, Springfield, 2011, ed. Michael Tenneson. Springfield, MO: Gospel Publishing House, 2012.
“Postconservative Apologetic Method: A Constructive Proposal.” PhD Dissertation, Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary, 2014. Ann Arbor: Proquest/UMI.
“Intercessory Prayer (1600-present)” and “Jabez,” in Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception. Berlin: De Gruyter, 2015.
“Azusa Street Revival,” “Baptism in the Holy Spirit in Pentecostalism,” “David K. Bernard,” “T.D. Jakes,”and “Pentecostal Assemblies of the World,” in Baker Dictionary of Cults and World Religions. Baker Academic, (forthcoming 2016).
Suzanne Burden and Jeremiah Gibbs. Allied: Stories of Men and Women Building God’s Kingdom Together. manuscript in process.
Academic and Professional Presentations
“Recovering Orthodoxy: The Rise of the Evangelical Left in Christological Terms.” Paper presented at American Academy of Religion Midwest Regional meeting, River Forest, IL, April 4, 2008.
“Treading Thin Ice: The Evangelical Left’s Search for Ethics in Light of the Social Gospel Heritage.” Paper presented at American Academy of Religion Midwest Regional meeting, River Forest, IL, April 4, 2008.
“Real Presence? The Assemblies of God at “Play” with Sacramentality.” Paper presented at American Academy of Religion Midwest Regional meeting, Chicago, IL, April 4, 2009.
“Beauty and the Being of God: Aesthetics and Apologetic Method.” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Society of Christian Apologetics, Deerfield, IL, April 18, 2009.
“A Taste for Truth: The Evangelical Theologian, Theological Prolegomena, and the Role of Aesthetics.” Paper presented at Garrett-ETS Student Theological Conference, April 24, 2009.
“Spirit Baptism and the Ordo Diaconia: An Ecumenical Apologia for the Pentecostal Doctrine of ‘Subsequence.'” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Pentecostal Studies, March 4-6, 2010.
“The Possibilities of Measurable Spiritual and Vocational Formation Assessment: Enabling Individual Growth and Institutional Transparency.” Paper presented at the inaugural conference of the Network for Vocation in Undergraduate Education, March 10-12, 2011.